Sleeping like a baby....

2:12 PM Edit This 2 Comments »
I finally think I know what the person who thought up that saying was thinking of. It obviously wasn't a long, quiet, peaceful uninterupted night's sleep. Because babies don't sleep. Ever. Well...ours doesn't anyway. She punctuates the night with, "Hnnnd. Hnnnd. HNNNND!" Which is Anna-ese for, "Mommy, I love you dearly so please hold me hand, and no, Daddies won't do - only because he doesn't have finger nails to play with." But I digress...

I think they were thinking of that moment when they actually fall asleep. See...all you cry-it-out-ers are missing this. I was just thinking today how much I love watching Anna fall asleep. She used to do it nursing, and then while we rocked her, but now it's while I lay next to her bed on my bean bag pillow and hold her hand. And I close my eyes so she thinks I'm sleeping too - but I sometimes keep them open a tiny slit just to watch her eyes get heavy, and droop, and finally drift shut. Such a perfect picture it makes my heart ache. That must be what they mean by 'sleep like a baby'. *sigh*

2 comments:

Heather said...

Bek, I do the same thing! I'll pretend I'm sleeping, but I'm really watching Em drift off. So I know exactly what you mean.
Jim, on the other hand, will unintentionally fall asleep with her and I have to go in an hour later and tell him he can get up now. Ha!

Bek said...

Heather - that is so funny. Curtis does *exactly* the same thing. I can lay there for an hour and leave when she falls asleep, but if it takes more than about 10 minutes, Curtis is out like a light. After awhile I'll think, "is she taking a long time, or did he fall asleep" and usually he's snoozing. Too funny!