The Other Shoe...

12:15 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
...(this could be a post about the mystery of where Anna always hides just ONE shoe out of every pair - but we haven't located that spot yet - and that's not what this is about anyway).

Do you ever feel like things are so good that you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop? I feel like that a lot. Not that my life is perfect...far from. I have more than my share of stress (doesn't everyone), much of it probably self inflicted. I am overweight and out of shape and not happy about it. I have a lot on my plate, and I have struggled with depression. But I am also constantly aware of just how good I have it, in the big picture.

As my Dad is fond of saying, "You don't have to look very far to see people with bigger problems than your own."

In the scheme of things, I am so very blessed. I am married to my best friend, and we genuinely like each other, which I think is sometimes harder than LOVING each other (which we do also - very deeply). We have a very peaceful, supportive, loving relationship. And although we have our tiffs - they never last long. I watch other friends of ours in their relationships, and I see how good we really have it. We have a beautiful, healthy, funny, smart daughter, who lights up our world. We have wonderful families, who, despite the fact that they drive us crazy sometimes (a phrase Anna has now picked up, BTW) are always there when we need them. We have our own home. A roof over our heads. We have luxuries that we surely take for granted. We have food. We have our health. Sometimes, I just get SCARED about that 'what ifs' of losing those things that I have taken for granted for so long, and I feel sad for the people who live without them each day.

Ahhh....I guess I'm feeling sappy tonight. I just don't want to catch myself taking the blessings that I have for granted. I feel like I am supposed to be DOING something with them, and I'm not sure exactly what.

1 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Rebekah. What a great post to read. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy!

I was thinking similar thoughts today. Perspective is a wonderful thing. Makes us realize how small our problems really are and how good we have it.